454 HO Crate Engine – Chevrolet Performance 454 HO Crate Engine
- 438 hp @ 5,300 rpm/500 lb.-ft. @ 3,500 rpm
- Rectangular-port heads w/ 2.19/1.88-inch valves
- Hydraulic roller camshaft .510 int./.540 exh. lift
- Chevrolet Performance dual-plane aluminum intake
Available on backorder
454 HO Crate Engine
Big Torque on a Budget!
The Chevrolet Performance 454 HO crate engine is a Big-Block bargain. It’s an affordable engine with performance specs that will make you think it’s 1970 all over again!
A new-style block casting with four-bolt main caps includes an all-forged rotating assembly for great strength and durability. It also uses a smooth hydraulic roller camshaft for excellent drivability and asphalt-wrinkling performance. Rectangular-port cylinder heads with large, 2.19/1.88-inch valves, round out the assembly.
Karl’s Kustoms is here to help you make your next build the best it can be, as a top-rated retailer of Chevy performance engines, parts, and accessories, and over 40 years of dedication to GM performance.
The package includes a water pump, balancer, 14-inch flexplate and an aluminum intake manifold. Simply add a carburetor, ignition system and starter and your muscle car or street rod will be ready to roar.
Original items such as manifolds, accessories, mounts, etc. can be transferred to a 454 HO engine, when installed in a vehicle that was originally equipped with a big block. However, there may be some dissimilar components between a 454 HO engine and an older big block.
Installing this engine in a vehicle not originally equipped with a big block engine may require modifications or additional components not included, such as fabricating various components for the cooling, fuel, electrical, and exhaust systems.
Note: Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long blocks and partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur. GMPP HEI distributor P/N 93440806 is recommended.
454 HO Tech Specs
- Engine Type: Chevy Big Block V-8
- Displacement (cu in): 454
- Bore x Stroke (in): 4.250 x 4.000
- Block: Cast-iron with 4-bolt main caps (P/N 19170538)
- Crankshaft: Forged steel (P/N 14096983)
- Connecting Rods: Forged steel (P/N 19170198)
- Pistons: Forged aluminum (P/N 10215228)
- Camshaft Type: Hydraulic roller (P/N 24502611)
- Camshaft Lift (in): .510 intake / .540 exhaust
- Camshaft Duration (@.050 in): 211° intake / 230° exhaust
- Cylinder Heads: Iron rectangular port; 118cc chambers (P/N 12562920)
- Valve Size (in): 2.190 intake / 1.880 exhaust
- Compression Ratio: 8.75:1
- Rocker Arms: Stamped steel (P/N 12523976)
- Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.7:1
- Water Pump: Cast-iron, long-style (P/N 19168606)
- Flexplate: 14″ (P/N 10185034)
- Recommended Fuel: Premium Pump
- Ignition Timing: Base 4° BTDC, 36° Total @ 4,000 rpm
- Maximum Recommended rpm: 5,500
- Balanced: External
- Requires addition of carburetor, starter, fuel pump, distributor and ignition system (not included)
- Clutch linkage bosses are now drilled and tapped. When using cast-iron exhaust manifolds, lower head bolts may need to be replaced with bolts with shorter heads for clearance
- Comes with an externally balanced 14″ automatic transmission flexplate; use flywheel P/N 14096987 and 11″ clutch assembly for manual transmission applications
- Designed for pre-1976 street vehicles or any off-road vehicle
- Not intended for marine applications
Chevrolet Performance Crate Engines carry a 24 Month or 50,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first) when installed by a qualified independent service center. Chevrolet Performance Crate Engines also come with a 30 day start up warranty (parts only).
There are some additional limitations on the warranty – please see the official GM warranty documentation for more information.