HT383E Crate Engine – Chevrolet Performance Vortec 383 Crate Engine
- 323 hp @ 4,200 rpm/444 lb.-ft. @ 3,000 rpm
- Big-Block power in a Small-Block Vortec package
- Includes Water Pump and Balancer
- Replaces 5.7L L31 Engines in 1500 (1/2-ton) GM Trucks
- Distributor and Plug Wires (shown) are NOT included!
- Additional information
- Technical Specs
- Dyno Chart
- Installation Notes
- Reviews (0)
HT383E Crate Engine
Looking for more performance for your Chevy truck? Karl Kustoms offers a Chevrolet Performance bolt-in replacement stroker just for you!
If you’ve got a tired 350 Vortec engine in your 1996-1999 half-ton GM truck or SUV, you should take a look at the HT383E crate engine. Affordable and powerful, the HT383E is a direct replacement long-block for the 350 Vortec. It’s easy to bolt in more horsepower and torque for effortless towing.
Like the standard HT383, this crate engine uses a cast-iron block with four-bolt main caps. It features a forged steel crankshaft, a smooth hydraulic roller camshaft and cast iron Vortec heads. Its 9.1:1 compression ratio is perfect for regular gasoline at all altitudes and engine loads.
The HT383E is the same basic engine as the HT383. The HT383E is configured for easy bolt in replacement of the GM L31 5.7-liter Vortec engine found in 1996 – 1999 half-ton models of the Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra and Yukon. It is backed by a warranty from Chevrolet Performance and Karl Kustoms low price guarantee!
It also includes a new water pump and externally balanced 153-tooth automatic transmission flexplate.
- Distributor with melonized steel gear MUST be used with long-blocks and Partial engines with steel camshafts, or engine damage will occur.
- Requires the reuse of the stock intake manifold, distributor, wiring harness, and fuel injection system
- Due to calibration variances between half, three-quarter- and one-ton vehicles, this engine is designed for half-ton trucks and SUVs only
- This engine is not emissions-legal in CA or states that have adopted CA emissions regulations
- Comes with 12.75-inch externally balanced 153-tooth automatic transmission flexplate. Requires externally balanced flywheel for manual transmission.
- Has right-side dipstick
- Not available as a Partial Engine
- Performance recalibration of OEM ECU will significantly increase torque and horsepower
- P/N 19420885 (Replaces old P/N’s 19332531, 19355721, 19417374, 19420877, 19420885)
19417374, 19420877, 19420885
HT383E Tech Specs
- Engine Type: Chevy Small-Block V-8
- Displacement (cu in): 383
- Bore x Stroke (in): 4.005 x 3.800
- Block (P/N 88962516): Cast-iron with 4-bolt main caps
- Crankshaft (P/N 12489436): 4340 forged steel
- Connecting Rods (P/N 19332460): Heavy-duty PM steel
- Pistons (P/N 12499103): Hypereutectic aluminum
- Camshaft Type (P/N 14097395): Hydraulic roller
- Camshaft Lift (in): .431 intake / .451 exhaust
- Camshaft Duration (@.050 in): 196° intake / 206° exhaust
- Cylinder Heads (P/N 12558060): Vortec iron; 64cc chambers
- Valve Size (in): 1.940 intake / 1.500 exhaust
- Compression Ratio: 9.1:1
- Rocker Arms (P/N 10089648): Stamped steel
- Rocker Arm Ratio: 1.5:1
- Water Pump (P/N 89060527): Cast-iron
- Recommended Fuel: Regular pump
- Maximum Recommended RPM: 5,000
- Flexplate (P/N 14088765): 12.750″
- Balanced: External
Chevrolet Performance Crate Engines carry a 24 Month or 50,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first) when installed by a qualified independent service center. Chevrolet Performance Crate Engines also come with a 30 day start up warranty (parts only).
There are some additional limitations on the warranty – please see the official GM warranty documentation for more information.
– Requires the reuse of the stock intake manifold, wiring harness, and fuel injection system
– Due to calibration variances between half-, three-quarter- and one-ton vehicles, this engine is designed for half-ton trucks and SUVs only
– This engine is not emissions-legal in CA or states that have adopted CA emissions regulations
– Comes with 12.75-inch externally balanced 153-tooth automatic transmission flexplate. Requires externally balanced flywheel for manual transmission.
– Has right-side dipstick
– Not available as a Partial
– Performance recalibration of ECU will significantly increase torque and horsepower